Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 8: My Best Is Not Enough?

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." - Romans 3:23-24


"Even if I do the best I can (and the trouble is, I do not always do that), how can I be certain that my best comes within measurable distance of God's requirement?" (Bruce 97)

Growing up, the expectation I put on myself as a missionary kid was to have a certain capacity to constantly adapt. If I could just learn and adjust to the habits of a new context and culture, then I could look like I belonged, though I was working hard at it inside. You, or your kids might experience the same desire to live up to the culture's norms, even today. You might even go as far as to think that if you adjust adequately that you have gained the status of a "good missionary". After all, you desire to present your best to the Lord, right? 

I recently heard from a friend who moved overseas a few months ago that the Lord quickly removed any notions that she was "well-prepared or fully equipped" for the work set before her, and her dependence was now solely on Christ. What do you do when your own self-security and confidence is shaken? Perfection is a wall too high to scale. 


Bruce continues..."And when it comes to the question of our acceptance by God, how much more satisfying is it to know oneself justified freely by his grace than to hope to be justified 'by works of law'! Indeed!

You already know that you have been saved from the wrath of God, redeemed by the blood of Christ, and called God's very own child. Now live into this identity, into this faith, and let him again tell you of your dependence on his righteousness. As you do so, not only can the Lord use your weaknesses for his glory, but he will more importantly be near and with you in all.

When it is justification that is a free gift, it does not mean merely that God ethically makes you righteous, nor does he superficially treat you as righteous, but declares you righteous and free from the guilt and shame of bearing your own sin (Moo 227).

Bruce, F. F. Romans - The Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Leicester, England: Inter-Varsity Press, 1985. Print.

Moo, Douglas J. Romans. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment